Respected PM Narendra Modi & BJP President Amit Shah,
I write this open letter to you with a hope that this letter reaches you. The State Election Results of five states were declared yesterday. The BJP was ruling in the states of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh & Chhattisgarh and the Congress has come to power in this three states. As Bloombergquint quoted “BJP Down 180 Seats, Congress Up 162 In Three Hindi-Heartland States”. I am sure that there will be expert analysis from your side on why the losses happened and you will make decisions based on the analysis too. I, however, present a few details here which ‘might’ help you take some decisions.
Sir, there can be many reasons for the losses: Anti Incumbency, campaigning, choice of candidates, local issues, rebellions etc. I wish to talk about only one here: “NOTA (None Of The Above)“. There are voters who are not happy with the BJP and they cannot go to Congress & its allies and hence press NOTA, because for them, there is no alternative. The votes cast as NOTA are counted, they are considered as invalid votes so they will not change the outcome of the election process but this voters can atleast make a statement. A large part of NOTA votes comprises of innocent men & their families who are facing #FakeCases like 498A, DV etc.
A simple search on Twitter with the hashtags #NOTA4Men, #NOTAIn2019 or #MenVote will help you realize the pain & agony that men & their families are going through due to the Gender Biased laws. Everyone (and even the staunchest of feminists) will agree that the laws are misused with statements like “No one is denying that Section 498A may have spawned a few false cases.” or people like Farhan Akhtar, who are openly biased, admitting about false cases. Well, what more can one say when the former Judge, Supreme Court of India Justice Markandey Katju states this:
or when Honorable Court states “Misuse of dowry provisions is legal terrorism”.
and wrote about the systematic ignorance towards Child Boys’ Issues in my post here! But you did not listen. Men & their families tagged you in tweets, wrote letters to you, staged protest marches but you did not listen. Infact, one of your ministers is busy giving out statements like:
- “Never heard or read of men committing suicide”
- “All violence is male-generated”
- “Not under me!” (when asked about support to BOYS to continue education)
What a shame!
Honorable Supreme Court stated “Misuse of the provision has caused social unrest. But, it’s not for the Courts to fill in legislative gaps.” This men & their families looked up to you to fill the legislative gaps. The biased laws were brought by the Congress but you, Sir, & the BJP have not taken a single step to amend the laws, to tackle the menace of men’s suicide or to bring in the provisions of punishment for women who file false cases. All that this men demanded from you is:
- Promotion of Gender equal laws to promote family harmony (man/woman to be replaced by person and husband/wife to be replaced by spouse).
- Punishment for misuse of the provisions of the dowry law by default in case the complaint / case if found false.
- Domestic Violence Act (PWDVA) of 2005 should be gender neutral as it is in all developed countries.
- Workplace harassment legal framework should be made gender neutral.
BUT YOU DID NOT LISTEN.
Now, see for yourself what NOTA did.
Below is the final seat tally of Madhya Pradesh State Assembly Results as per the EC Website.
The Congress is ahead of the BJP by 5 seats. Now, check this out.
Seat 1: Biaora
(Constituency Name, Constituency No, Leading Candidate, Leading Party, Trailing Candidate, Trailing Party, Margin)
Margin of victory: 826
Seat 2: Damoh
Margin of victory: 798
Seat 3: Gunnour
Margin of victory: 1984
Seat 4: Gwalior South
Margin of victory: 121
Seat 5: Jabalpur North
Margin of victory: 578
Seat 6: Jobat
Margin of victory: 2056
Seat 7: Mandhata
Margin of victory: 1236
Seat 8: Nepanagar
Margin of victory: 1264
Seat 9: Rajnagar
Margin of victory: 732
Seat 10: Rajpur (ST)
Margin of victory: 932
Seat 11: Suwasra
Margin of victory: 350
If the NOTA votes in all the above 11 seats would have gone to the BJP, then the final seat tally in Madhya Pradesh State Assembly (total of 230 seats) would look like:
Bharatiya Janata Party: 120 (109+11)
Indian National Congress: 103 (114-11)
Bahujan Samaj Party: 2
Samajwadi Party: 1
Guess who would form the Government?
I did a similar analysis for Rajasthan & it ended up taking your tally up by 7 seats: from 73 to 80 (at seats like Begun, Dantaramgarh, Fatehpur, Khetri, Marwar junction, Pachpadra & Pokaran). That is a better figure even if it would mean you would have still not be able to form the Government.
The bottom line is:
- Why can’t you hear the voices of the men & their families?
- When you say “Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas”, why are the men & their families not included in this inclusion?
- What stops you to get rid of Gender Biased Laws & bring in Gender Neutral Laws against all crimes?
- Why is there no provision of a strong and stringent punishment for all who file false cases, and put burden on our Judicial system, ruin innocent lives of others beyond repair to settle personal scores, using laws as weapons?
- Why are people who are full of misandry given a place in the Cabinet of Ministers?
- Why are issues like boys’ sexual abuse, boys’ education dropout and elder abuse not addressed?
- Why are you not worried about the massive rate of men’s suicide?
The writing is on the wall, Sir. If you don’t address this men’s & their families’ grievances, they will not buy your hollow slogans. You have already seen this now.
Better late than never.
(Post Image courtesy: https://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-pm-modi-bjp-chief-amit-shah-to-observe-fast-on-apr-12-to-protest-parliament-washout-2603237)